Heidelberg University, founded in 1386, is Germany’s oldest university and one of the strongest research institutions in Europe. Its successes in the Excellence Competition of the German federal and state governments, and in international rankings prove its leading role in the scientific community. In terms of educating students and promoting young academics, Heidelberg relies on research-based teaching and an outstanding, well-structured training for doctoral candidates. In addition to its disciplinary strengths, the university endeavours to transfer research results and scientific findings to industry and the economy.
With four Centres Abroad – the Heidelberg Center Latin America (HCLA), Santiago de Chile since 2002, the US Liaison Office, New York since 2008, the Heidelberg Centre South Asia (HCSA), New Delhi since 2009, and the Heidelberg University Office Kyoto (HUOK) since 2014 – Heidelberg University holds a strong international reach. These offices function as scientific hubs for regional studies, provide services to all institutions of the university and pave the way for international graduates to come to Heidelberg. Heidelberg University’s strong international profile is also evidenced by 27 partner universities across the globe and exchange programmes with roughly 480 universities worldwide. In addition, the university maintains a large number of research and teaching partnerships at the level of faculties, institutes and individual disciplines.
The Heidelberg Centre South Asia (HCSA) was inaugurated by the Rector of Heidelberg University on 17 November 2009. By establishing the HCSA, the university seeks to enhance academic cooperation with South Asia across all faculties of the university. The centre focuses on promoting cooperation in research and teaching, exchange at faculty and student levels, provide information on research and study opportunities, organise joint events and promote alumni networking.
In India Heidelberg University has active partnerships with various institutions of higher education and research, such as IITs, IISERs, Indian Institute of Science, Delhi University, Jawahar Lal Nehru University, University of Hyderabad, Jamia Millia Islamia, Mumbai University, Allahabad University, Anna University, Banaras Hindu University, Christian Medical College, Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Jadavpur University, the Institute of Development Studies Kolkata, the Centre for Studies in Social Sciences and Amrita University.
- Central repository of information on studying and research opportunities
- Practical support: visa processing, travel and accommodation
Initiating Cooperation in Research and Teaching
- Expertise in finding appropriate partners for research, teaching and funding
- Support for initiating research cooperation and joint study/research and training programmes
- Close cooperation with funding agencies on both sides
- Support in facilitating mobility of students/researchers
- Support in student assessment/recruitment
- Internship platform: gather work experience in Germany/South Asia
- Showcasing innovation at Heidelberg University
- Support in organisation of conferences, workshops, summer schools etc.
- Heidelberg Lecture Series (HLS)
- Alumni Network “Heidelberg Alumni India” (HAIN)